Friday, August 12, 2005

"I Told You To Calm Down"

Let me explain the above quote, which I attribute to my very rational, calm husband.

Last night, just as I stepped out of the shower, I figured out what my little puppy, Doobie, had been chewing on. I'd found little bits of it all over the bathroom and (yuck, I know) in his poop. But for the life of me, I couldn't fathom what he'd gotten into.

And then I remembered.

Last winter, we had a lot of problems with mice. Yes, there was a mouse in my bathroom - and that's a story unto itself - and I had consequently put some mouse poison in the bathroom closet.

Yup, you guessed it. Doobie found the poison. And promptly ate HALF of it.

I panicked. I weeped. I wailed. (Yes, I really did). And my husband told me to calm down. Again and again.

Doobie could have cared less about my problem. He was asleep, peacefully dozing away on his special pillow. He'd exhibited no signs of being poisoned, didn't throw up, shake, rattle or roll, so I thought, maybe we were in the clear. The poison had been sitting in the closet for months, literally. I had COMPLETELY forgotten about it. And I am the one who is always so darn careful with everything!

Needless to say, he and I took a trip to the vet this morning. I had to run to the store and buy a package of the poison so the vet could read the contents and see what we needed to do. Turns out we just needed to give him 30 days of Vitamin K. Apparently that poison attacks the blood's ability to clot and as they took Doobie's blood and it clotted normally, we caught it in time. Either that or the poison was so old it had lost its potency. Everyone at the vet's office loved little Doobie,and he also got his first shots today. He's good to go!

I am very thankful and grateful to God for helping me get through this - I was a basket case. You see, I would have always felt responsible if anything happened to him because I was the one who put him in the bathroom to keep him safe while I was at work.

But when I called hubby on the phone later, he had that voice, y'know, that voice, and said, "I told you to calm down. Didn't I?"

Yeah, you did. And I didn't. But it all turned out okay in the end.

I hope to get the photos developed over the weekend and I should have them up ASAP.

In Writing News...

Finished Chapter Five last night. I'm up to approximately 20K. Yay for me! Even if what I wrote last night IS crap, I can FIX crap!

7 comments:

  1. Boy, I hope you feel guilty. Bad mommy. :) I would have gone ape too.

    BTW, why the name Doobie? You know what a doobie is, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary, scary. Glad the puppy's okay. I know what you mean about mommy guilt.

    WTG on the pages!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, thanks, Rene. ;-)
    Yeah, I know what a doobie is - it's a great song lyric that Frank Sinatra used to use all the time, specifically in his song "Strangers in the Night." So you see, I have a very classy dog.
    Hubby picked the name Doobie because it was the first thing that came to him. Don't ask me why!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad Doobie is going to be okay! That's scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ack! Scary. (though doesn't it tick you off when people tell you to chill or calm down? Makes me want to clobber them)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Melissa Marsh,

    Your blog "this post", leads me to believe you will find my information on bathroom shower stalls and other bathroom subjects to be beneficial.

    You are also welcome to publish your own experiences on bathrooms in my free directory ... sharing your knowledge will help others and you also get the benefit of recognition and a valuable backlink to your own blog. If you have a few minutes to spare, please have a look at my articles on bathrooms now!

    Best Wishes
    Emily

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

New Digs

I've got a new home on the web - stop by if you get a chance! www.melissamarsh.net