Saturday, October 15, 2005

An Ode to Cereal

Since it's Saturday morning and thus, the time of cartoons and cereal, I thought I'd reminisce on all the great cereal I've had while watching the coyote and roadrunner battle it out, or Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck attempting to get Elmer Fudd's gun away from him.

So here goes...

Boo Berry. Blue cereal. Little marshmellow ghosts. FULL of sugar! But oh, it tasted SO GOOD.

And if we mention Boo Berry, we have to mention FrankenBerry and ChocoCount! One bowl of those and you'd be bouncing off the walls for hours!

Cookie Crisp! Little chocolate chip cookies...

Honey Nut Cheerios. Still a favorite of mine.

Golden Grahams. LOVE the first, crunchy bite.

Lucky Charms. Who could forget the advertising behind this one? "Let go of me Lucky Charms!"

Trix. I always felt so sorry for the rabbit - "Silly rabbit. Trix are for kids!" Well, darn it, why couldn't the rabbit have some, too? After all, he was a talking, fully functional rabbit! He deserves more than carrots!

Fruit Loops. Tucan Sam!

Captain Crunch. I LOVE Captain Crunch Berries. I remember they had a marketing campaign where you could actually call and talk to Captain Crunch. I never did like the peanut butter Crunch, though.

Apple Jacks. Tastes just like apples. With tons and tons of sugar loaded on top.

Frosted Flakes. "They're GRREEATT!" My daughter loves these - calls it Tony cereal (from Tony the Tiger, of course!)

Your turn. What types of cereal do you remember from your childhood or are in your cupboards today that you love?

6 comments:

  1. I remember FrakenBerry and Count Chocula. My kids still eat that stuff. I like Cinammon Toast Crunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites was Sugar Smacks... back when they were still called Sugar Smacks instead of well, whatever they are called today. My mind has gone blank. Honey Smacks maybe... not sure.

    I did watch a documentary on PBS (I think it was PBS) about ceral and its progression since its debut over 100 years ago. It was very educational I tell ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:50 AM

    "Trix. I always felt so sorry for the rabbit" OMG! Me, too! I mean, what's up with that?? Are they being speciesist? Teaching the kids that they are better than bunnies...

    I was actually more of a toast kid. I loved to have toast with peanut butter, or toast with brown sugar. Yum. Oo! Or, a toasted bagle with Mrs. Richardson's Butterscotch Caramel...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember ALWAYS wanting my Mom to buy Honeycomb cereal and she never would. She insisted on buying healthy cereals like Shreddies and Shredded Wheat. My favorite part of crashing overnight at my friend's house was getting to chow down on Honeycomb when I woke up. Although, oddly enough, now my favorite cereals are Vector and Shreddies. Go figure. Although my bestfriend and I have an endless debate going about which is better - Fruit Loops or Cap'n Crunch. I say Fruit Loops. She's with the Cap'n.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Tony the Tiger :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, well, we weren't allowed any of the sugary cereals, so I remember Shreddies, Corn Flakes and Cheerios. I LOVED Shreddies - ate them for years.

    In first year university, though, I ate Fruit Loops every morning of first term *vbg*.

    Now I have Nature's Gate Flax Plus and President's Choice Fibre First MultiBran - yep, I've been on a health kick lately. Happens the closer you get to 40!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

THERE IT IS

 It's back.  And who knows for how long? But for this day, for this moment, all is bliss. I'm happy, excited for the future, ready a...