Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Dominant Impression

I'm still at home with my daughter - she woke up at 4 a.m. this morning coughing. Poor thing.

Anyway, as promised, I'm going to start sharing notes about my conference. Today will be short and sweet!

Deb Dixon talked about the "Dominant Impression" for your characters. It's a simple, but very useful concept.

For your characters, think of an adjective and a descriptive noun. The adjective cannot be a physical description - for example, "tall" or "thin" or "blue-eyed." It must be more specific - like "lazy" or "cocky." Then choose your descriptive noun, but it can't be a profession.

Some of Deb's examples come from Star Wars. Han Solo is a "cocky smuggler." Princess Leia is a "royal rebel."

Those who attended the conference also came up with some great ones:

frustrated martyr
lonely rake
impulsive dreamer

This is a great tool to help you really pinpoint who your character is.

More tomorrow!

Oh yes -

I am officially the new president of my local RWA chapter. I'll begin my term in January. :-)

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on becoming the new president!! That is awesome!

    Thanks for the notes. I can't wait to hear more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great concept. I'm going to try it.

    And I sympathize on the sick children. I'm at home with a sick three-year-old, for the second day in a row.

    Also, congrats to the new prez!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:01 PM

    Boy, that sick kid thing seems to be going around. I hope all of your kids get better soon, Ladies!

    I like the Dominant Impressiong concept. That's how I like to think. Short, hard hitting. Not sure what I would nail down my characters as right now, though. Not enough caffeine to think...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:01 PM

    Oy! The typos, they haunt me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the dominant impression idea. I think my heroine is a lonely repentent (is that a word??) and my hero...hmmm... I'll have to think on the noun for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the DD notes, Melissa - AND, Congrats on the Presidency!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, gals!

    I will post more from Deb's workshop soon, but like a ninny, I forgot my notes at home today. :-(

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

THERE IT IS

 It's back.  And who knows for how long? But for this day, for this moment, all is bliss. I'm happy, excited for the future, ready a...