Wednesday, January 21, 2009

There's Tired...Then There's Me

Back in October, I was diagnosed with a tiny heart condition. It's nothing serious (you can read about it here) - basically, my heart speeds up a bit when it doesn't need to, and it has created a sensation of butterly wings fluttering in my chest whenever it acts up.

I'm working closely with my doctor on how to decrease these episodes and unfortunately, it involves medication. But getting the right dosage is proving a challenge.

Last night, I was excited to go home from work, switch on the laptop, and start writing. But once I got home, I did a load of laundry, ate supper, and read a bit, then tried not to curl up on the couch and go to sleep. I didn't want a repeat of Monday night. On Monday, I felt tired and I figured I'd take a short nap since my daughter was over at her dad's house. I lay down at 6:30 p.m. and didn't wake up until midnight! That is definitely not a short nap.

I resolved not to do the same last night, though it was incredibly hard. I managed to stay awake, write a few paragraphs, and do a bit of research, but it was a struggle.

The last two times I've been into the doctor, they've had to take my blood pressure twice because they didn't think they were reading it right - it was low. So something still isn't right - either the medicine is slowing my heart down too much or the medicine isn't a good fit for me. I'm already on medication for hypothyroidism, so I don't think my thyroid is acting up, but I'm getting that checked next.

Sigh. Being tired just
irritates me. There are far too many things to do to sleep! Granted, I'll use the weekends to sleep in during the morning and I'll occasionally take a nap, but other than that, I want to be working on my writing or my embroidery or reading a good book or writing a letter - and having the urge to nod off every five minutes doesn't help matters at all.

I wish I had lots of energy. But I don't right now. And I'm eating right, exercising when I can, (but it is so hard to exercise when you feel exhausted!) and taking vitamins. Not sure what else I can do to improve matters. So I'll just do what I can until we get things figured out.

Darn it all anyway. Next thing you know, my characters will be taking lots and lots of naps...or drinking lots and lots of coffee!

12 comments:

  1. Speaking of coffee, do you think it'd be safe for you to have a bit, with docs' approval, natch. I drink so much of it every day, or I'd stay in bed. Ah, to those who have good metabolisms, they know not how blessed they are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, Melissa, I'm so sorry! I do feel good for you, though, that you made even a little progress last night. Sometimes that's what it's all about; writing when we least want to.

    I'll be thinking of you. I hope the docs figure out what's going on.

    And Angie - I'm blessed with good metabolism... cursed with a flat butt. It all evens out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there! you sound liek how I get when I'm prego... UGH no energy at all. EVER. LOL! Hope everything sorts itself out soon! -jenni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you're feeling much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie - The problem is that I don't like coffee! :-) And oh, how I miss my old metabolism that I had in college...could eat anything and not gain a pound, plus had lots of energy.

    Janna - I did figure out how the rest of the scene would go and quickly wrote it down so I wouldn't forget, so that was a good thing!

    Giddy and Debs - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have hypothyroidism too so I know when it is off cause of the tiredness etc but one time it wasn't that--it was my B12. I don't eat red meat and didn't know when it gets low--I could feel that way.
    Also my blood pressure was so low they had to take it twice too--but I'm not tired--hmmm-not a bunch of stuff you need to hear--you just want to feel good and have energy I know. Just wanted to say I understand!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once they sort out the dosage, you should be fine. Let's hope they do that soon and you can have one thing less to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terri - Hmm, I didn't think about the B12 thing. Might look into that.

    Diane - Agreed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SO with you! I am a low energy person and really, I envy those with lots of energy. I tire easily and quickly. I feel your frustration! I hope the doctors can get your medicine sorted out soon and you can be back to yourself. I tell you, I greatly admire all you do. Hats off to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heidi - I can't imagine how you do it with low energy and three kids. I admire YOU, m'dear! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting. I have similiar problems (though I don't have a heart condition that I'm aware of), and I'm a little on the HYPO-thyroid side.

    *shakes head*

    Anyway, I can identify all too well with that kind of tired...it's rough. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen - You have more reason than me to be tired with all those boys!
    :-)

    Thanks for the good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

THERE IT IS

 It's back.  And who knows for how long? But for this day, for this moment, all is bliss. I'm happy, excited for the future, ready a...