Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Treasures!

Last night it was time to have some fun. After I did a bit of writing and my daughter had her alloted time playing her video game, we decided to be creative.

We laughed a lot and made a big mess...

And created masterpieces! Notice how my very creative daughter put all the 'shirts' together holding hands. And even when she didn't have room for one more, she added it anyway. Why? Because she can, of course!
Here is my collage - notice the pen on the upper right hand corner that looks as though it's written the words, "I heart Mr. Darcy"? That was my daughter's idea, too. And a darn good one.
And here is the inspiration for us getting out the magazines, the scissors, and the glue stick. My mother made this for me for Christmas. Yes, she made it.


It was a simple wooden chest. She painted it, cut out pictures from magazines and got some scrapbooking paper that represented my interests, made a collage, and then decoupaged it. When I first opened it, I said, "Where did you get this? It's gorgeous! " And she said, very humbly, "I made it." I was just floored. Here's some more details:

And look at this! Does this picture look familiar?


My mother also made decoupaged containers for my daughter and my niece and nephew. They were so neat! I knew she'd been working on making our gifts, but I had no idea what they were. She did such an excellent job on them all.

I'm displaying this gorgeous chest in my living room where it fits right in with my decor. And I'm keeping my special handwritten letters from friends and family in here. It's the perfect chest for such treasures.

And on that note, all of you who read my blog and left such wonderful comments on yesterday's post are true treasures to me. Your support and encouragement is such a blessing. I'm feeling much better and I know it is due to your prayers, thoughts, and concerns. From the bottom of my heart, thank you!

15 comments:

  1. What a cool gift, Melissa! I love it when people put extra thought (say nothing of extra elbow grease) into gift-giving. Clearly your mom knows you well. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful chest! It looks so you! I love gifts like that with such a personal touch. So glad you're feeling better today. Hope tomorrow's even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great gift! And, I love receiving gifts that people took time in making, thinking about, or creating. And, I think it is so cool that you have fun creative times with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am speechless. Well, almost. :o)

    What a truly beautiful gift. I just love it when someone puts such thought - and effort - into a gift that will always be treasured. It has to be the perfect gift.

    So glad you're feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do sound better, but I suspect there may be a little bravado in there. Take care. It's a lovely gift, and such a keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a treasure! The chest is absolutely beautiful. To have something like that made by your mom, who surely is one of the people who knows and loves you best...priceless.

    Looks like all three generations have the artistic gene in bucketsful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:44 AM

    So cool! I used to do things like that. I'm wishing I still did! I used to scrapbook too, and I'm now years behind on that. 2 1/2 years into my marriage, all the stuff for the album is still in a bag. I need to be cloned!!!

    That box is phenomenal. Your mom is very talented! What a great family treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How absolutely beautiful and how lovely it is to know in this age of websurfing and video games that three women are using their creativity to add something special to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! That is amazing! Simply gorgeous! I love it! And what a perfect idea to use it for too! Oh! And I love the art you and your daughter did too! Girls are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful, Melissa! And how special your mom put so much thought and time into it. :) I'm really glad you're feeling better, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww man! I think I need to have a daughter. If I told my boys I wanted to make a collage with pictures of shirts and stuff... they'd think I had lost my marbles! How fun is that?! My Grandma is very crafty like that. One year she sewed everyone in the family these beautiful quillows (a quilt that folds down into a pillow). Everything your family made turned out just beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous!! I saw on tv where a mom made them for her children and she kept a file of all their special school work etc in it. I wanted to make one for my daughter and give her all the memories I saved too. Some really creative family members there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I am so jealous! Tell your mom that if she wants to make those and sell them, I would sign up for one. That is so beautiful! And I love your collages! That looked like so much fun.

    Did I mention how much I love the chest?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Friend, the talent's just oozing outta your gene pool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Melissa - I love the collages that you and your daughter made, and that box your mom made for you is beautiful. Wow, wow, wow! I'm going to add this link to my post for Friday. It will tie in perfectly. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

THERE IT IS

 It's back.  And who knows for how long? But for this day, for this moment, all is bliss. I'm happy, excited for the future, ready a...