Monday, January 26, 2009

Goal Met


Last night, I finished writing my third completed novel. I was excited, yes. But I knew that this time was different from the last two times I typed "THE END" on a novel. Why? Because there's something different about this book.

And I think I know what it is.

I can see how far I've come as a writer with this book. It has more depth, more emotion, more maturity, just...more of everything. I love my characters. I love how they are different people by the end of the book. They've learned and changed and grown. I can clearly see it. I don't know that I could see that with the other two books. But this one...yeah. It's there.

When I finished, I went and told my daughter. I said, "I'm done! I'm done writing my book!" Her face lit up and she gave me a wonderful hug. That was the best reward ever.

Maybe I'll take a few days off, or maybe I won't. I'm in the mood to edit and I don't want to lose the thread of motivation. So perhaps I'll take the next few days to read it over, take some notes, look at what needs to be done, and then get started.

I love this writing life.

21 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:10 AM

    Congrats! How wonderful.

    I understand not wanting to lose the thread or the motivation, but you need to leave enough distance before edits so that you can read it as though someone else wrote it. Otherwise, you won't be objective enough to do the edits necessary for the submission process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, how wonderful! I wish you the best, through editing and then beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAYAYAY! I'm soo excited for you! You finished your goal! I think it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are Writer Woman! Woohoo! (Are you gonna go revise the first two books now?) :)

    Blog bling awaits you over at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats. 'Tis a satisfying feeling I know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go Melissa! I'm very excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! Oh that's wonderful! I'm at the end of two, and I can't WAIT to start a new one, fresh! It's already writing in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Melissa! Have fun editing. A certain pressure is lifted at that point, isn't it? Now it's just finetuning, perfecting. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many congratulations, that's a wonderful achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! Congratulations. Well done you.

    Devon's right, of course. You should leave time between edits. It's something I wish I could do. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! I'm glad you can see the progress you made. That's awesome. Hope you reward yourself for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12:38 PM

    Congratulations!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!! yay!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! That's wonderful news...way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations. I look forward to reading more about your book.

    Cheers, Laurel Ann

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on reaching The End. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, everyone! And thanks for stopping by Anita and Laurel Ann. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

THERE IT IS

 It's back.  And who knows for how long? But for this day, for this moment, all is bliss. I'm happy, excited for the future, ready a...