Friday, January 30, 2009

Holy Guacamole, Batman!

Writing historical fiction has its pitfalls. But a major pitfall is if you miss a key piece of research that could completely alter the state of your story.

The other day, I posed a research question to my good friends at The Fedora Lounge, a group of swell individuals that love the 1940s. Their knowledge on this era just astounds me and I am so grateful to have this resource. They came through with flying colors - and even provided me with a bit of information that I didn't know.

And boy, that bit is crucial, absolutely crucial, to my plot. In fact, because I now have that information, I'm going to have to change a few aspects of the story, otherwise I would have committed a major SNAFU.

I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief that I dodged a bullet. Yeah, I'm going to have to rearrange some stuff to get things to work now, but at least it will be accurate. I shudder to think what might have happened if I hadn't found out this info. So I definitely think it's a God thing that my friends at the FL helped me out!

Let the editing begin.

15 comments:

  1. I've had that happen before. Glad to here you found it before it became an issue.

    BTW, where were you today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for friends and at least you caught it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blog connections...what an awesome thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Research is so critical, isn't it? Can you use that piece of information to even build your story even more, with authenticity, or realism, throughout?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get so worried about the plot points and history! No matter how I am writing, or what I am writing, I know that if I get it wrong, then people will give me heck! I so feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was great timing. So glad you found that unexpected info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:24 AM

    Yeah, it's those details that often make or break holding the reader into the piece. Good for you for doing the research, and, more importantly, being WILLING to make the necessary changes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! always good dodging those writerly bullet thingees!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there any way you would divulge that tidbit you learned? You have me very curious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Friends. What would we do without them?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for the Fedora Lounge! I don't know how anyone wrote historical fiction before the Internet...with all the hours they must have spent in the library, how did they get any writing done?

    Glad you got the info! Doesn't it feeling like finding a precious jewel? I LOVE those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like Pam J, I'm curious about that detail!! And yeah, research buddies are great :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The detail is a doozy - an order from the U.S. Army that prohibits sharing certain facts with ANYONE about a pilot's experience after being shot down over Occupied Territory.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rene, Katryn, and Debs - I'm VERY glad I found it now. Whew.

    Terri, Angie, and Debbi - How right you are! I don't know if I would have found this on my own.

    Joanne - It will definitely add a lot of realism to the story. I'm really baffled how I missed this key fact earlier. Just glad I caught it now!

    Devon - Oh, no question about it - the changes have to be made now. I had the notion of just throwing the whole thing out, but I refuse. I love the characters and the story too much.

    Jamie, thanks for stopping by! And yeah, I knew that if anyone read my novel as it was, someone would have pointed it out and I would have been mortified.

    Christine - The Fedora Lounge has been a lifesaver on so many things. I love it there!

    Pam and Tess - I answered your questions in the comment above this one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a perfect case of it's not what you know... but who you know! LOL! WOW! And ahem, I sooo thought i was the only one on the planet that said batman sayings! LOL! I LOVE them! Hehehe! I loved your title

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

THERE IT IS

 It's back.  And who knows for how long? But for this day, for this moment, all is bliss. I'm happy, excited for the future, ready a...