Monday, May 09, 2005

Writing and Not Writing

How can you be a writer if you don't write? The short answer is, you can't. The long answer is...you can't.

I get very frustrated with myself sometimes. Okay, a lot of the time. We all have busy lives, yet we find times in our daily schedule to write. I'm writing right now. I write every single day at my job - that's what I do for a living.

Then how come I have such a hard time sitting down and opening up my manuscript? I love both the books I'm working on, yet cannot make myself work on them half the time. When I do manage to get a few pages done, I feel such a sense of accomplishment that I vow not to let myself go for long without returning to it again.

But I always do.

I could say that life gets in the way. We could all say that. But if we want to be successful in this business, we've got to make time. I've got to realize that I can't have long, interrupted blocks of time to work. A few sentences here and there during the evening will work. Then why do I put it off?

I get tired from working all day, I have kids to take care of, I have other articles to write, I've got the house to clean...excuses. All excuses!!!

I'm going to challenge myself and those of you that read my blog (thank you!), I humbly ask if you would like to help me with this challenge.

I want to write for an hour every other day - at least four days a week, if not more. But I have to write FOUR DAYS A WEEK, for ONE HOUR.

Starting tonight.

That's do-able, isn't it?

Stay tuned and see...

1 comment:

  1. Oh goodie, I get to hassle you all day.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...