Monday, December 05, 2022

The Tree Is Up!

Today, I finally felt good enough - and energetic enough - to put up the Christmas tree. I asked my boyfriend if he'd help me, and bless his heart, he did a terrific job. He put all the lights on the tree (he has a special technique and I just left him to it!) and helped me fluff the branches. Turned out I needed more lights, so off to the store we went.

I spent the rest of the evening decorating the living room, and I really love how it turned out. When I was a child, my mother had a Reader's Digest Christmas collection of records, and she gave it to me several years ago. See that vintage-looking stereo in the picture above? It has a record player. The sole reason I have that record player, and not just a cool vintage radio, is because of those Christmas records! It's just not Christmas without them!

And see that candle? I started collecting vintage Christmas decorations about 6 or 7 years ago, and I like to pair vintage with more modern pieces. My grandmother gave me several of her vintage Christmas decorations (like this candle!) before she passed, and I always incorporate them into my decorating. In addition, you can see the tree skirt she crocheted and also gifted it to me.  

I almost didn't put everything up this afternoon, but had a "f*&* it" moment and decided to just go for it. I'm so glad I did. 

However...I anticipate I will wake up in pain tomorrow because I overdid it. When will I learn? Sigh. Oh well.

Tonight, as a treat to myself, I ate some almond-bark covered pretzels (SO GOOD) and watched a classic Christmas movie, Remember the Night, with Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray. It's a warm-hearted, wonderful film. Surrounded by beautiful colored lights and my grandmother's vintage decorations, I felt at peace. 

I sorely needed it.

Overall, it was a Very Good Day. 

4 comments:

  1. The lights look a different colour from the earlier picture you posted. Very pretty. We have yet to go and get our tree. I expect it'll be a job for the coming weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And as we just found out that we're at least 4 for dinner this year, and possibly 5 (or more!), we may be doing the tree shopping this weekend! The last one we had was a mess, but usually they're treated, or specially bred not to drop.

      Delete
  2. Hey, that is fantastic!!! 2000 words on the novel is wonderful! And I wouldn't beat yourself up about the Christmas decorations. If it gets done, it does, but if not, there's always next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so beautiful! I love it! I'm so glad you had fun putting it up. I love vintage ornaments, too. I pick them up in thrift shops and yard sales and when people give them up.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...