Sunday, December 25, 2022

Merry Christmas!

 We had a very quiet Christmas. This is so different to the Christmases of my childhood and during my marriage. As a kid, we had tons of family nearby, so we always went to my grandparents for Christmas Eve with all the cousins, and then sometimes we'd also go there on Christmas Day, or host Christmas dinner at our place. The days were full of family and laughter and fun. 

During my marriage, we ended up going several different places. My parents divorced, and my (now ex's) husband' parents were also divorced, so there were some Christmases we ended up going four or more different places with all three kids in tow. Whew. I don't know how I survived.

All the kids are grown now. My grandparents on both sides have all passed. And each of my siblings has their own little families that have become bigger through marriage and babies. 

Christmas always makes me a little melancholy now. As an adult, I don't think we ever quite capture the magic of those innocent childhood Christmases. Our parents do all the shopping and wrapping, play Santa, make the goodies, and the arrangements. We are mostly unaware of tensions within the family (though as far as I can remember, my family didn't have much tension - or they were very good at concealing it!). I realize I'm very fortunate to have those memories. In contrast, my boyfriend didn't enjoy the holidays because when his family got together, they ended up bickering and fighting the entire time. 

It was just the three of us today. We were up early to open presents, and I received some wonderful gifts. My daughter got me the Prince John action figure because I LOVE the Disney Robin Hood movie, and she also got me this vintage 1940s brooch.



My BF gave me these two gorgeous fox pins plus a few Snoopy bags and a super cool Snoopy miniature book set. 


We watched the new Top Gun movie, Maverick, this evening, but other than that, it's been very quiet. That's okay. I am rather glad the holiday is over. I know Christmas is a very hard holiday for many, and while I am quite fortunate to have my boyfriend and my daughter here, plus other family close by, I know others are not so lucky.

I'm headed home this week to see my parents and my brother. I'm looking forward to some time alone on the road. I plan to listen to some podcasts and just enjoy my own company. I don't have to return to work until Jan. 9, 2023. I can't believe it's going to be 2023! Wow.


4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:09 PM

    I'm glad it was quietly lovely. (Devon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sounds like yours was nice, as well.

      Delete
  2. Prince John!! I adore him in that movie. Quiet holidays can be very nice. Ours was quiet too. Safe traveling on your visit to family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad your had a nice holiday, too! And Prince John and Sir Hiss...what a pair!

      Delete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...