Wednesday, December 07, 2022

Setting the Mood

 Do you start your writing sessions by setting the mood? Do you need to light a candle, have a cup of coffee or a soda nearby, maybe some chocolate to munch on? For me, it depends. Lately, I've been reading inspirational blog posts or articles about writing, or I immerse myself in the world of books (Lit Hub is one of my favorite book newsletters) before a writing session.

Sometimes I write in silence, others times with music. Often I'll write with a classic movie playing in the background. The music changes - instrumental one night, big band or Frank Sinatra another. Movie scores are wonderful for writing - very atmospheric and energizing. 

A few times I'm able to just dive right into the manuscript, but I find I do better overall if I prepare myself a bit first. Immersing myself in the writing world means I'm focusing my brain on the task at hand. These little rituals signal my mind that it is time to write.

What about you? 

4 comments:

  1. Um... I didn't think I had a ritual or anything, but I do like to have everything else done and out of the way and anything to do with the writing already set up and ready to go. Then I do go and make a cup of tea... and I think the cup of tea is my trigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always interesting to see how our brains work to prepare us to write!

      Delete
  2. I just kind of sit down and do it. I never have a movie going; it bleeds into the work. Same with anything with lyrics. When I teach, I can always tell when a student had on a soundtrack or the tv when drafting, because it affects the work (usually negatively). Soundtracks, in particular, are created for a specific vision that isn't the listener's, but the creator's. Sometimes, I'll have instrumental music on when I write, but again, no lyrics. Sometimes I'll listen to specific songs with lyrics to get me in the mood for a scene, but then I turn it off while I'm writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:30 AM

    I always have music playing in my house, so when I get ready to write, it's a matter of switching to the right scores to embody the mood I want. I also usually have something hot to drink, either tea or just plain hot water, but that's not essential. I think putting on "writing" music is the key. Then I read a little of what I last wrote to put me back in the world and off I go.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...