Friday, December 23, 2022

The New Workspace

 A writer's workspace is quite important. I think all of us have a dream office in mind - I certainly do. I want a large room lined with bookshelves and dark wood, with a fireplace, 18th century paintings, a huge desk, and a wonderful chaise lounge. Hopefully I'll have that some day.

But for now, I'm pretty happy with my new workspace. I originally had one desk, but found that it was far too small and worse, working on my laptop with its non-ergonomic keyboard would play havoc with my wrists. I had carpal tunnel about 15 years ago, and I have no desire to get it again. I moved away from a desktop computer years ago, but kept my ergonomic keyboard. I figured if I was going to spend a great deal of time writing, I needed a desk setup conducive to making my body as comfortable as possible.

I ordered a fairly cheap desk from Amazon that my wonderful boyfriend put together, and he also brought home a broken chair from his office, fixed it, and gave it to me. And it is a wonderful, comfortable chair that I have no problem spending hours in. 

Here's how it turned out!



It is so cozy - I just love it. I don't have much of a view through the window - we live in a duplex and my room is sort of smashed in between two garages - but I do have some lovely London-themed curtains and plenty of Snoopy as the Literary Ace to inspire me.

Of course, there will be days I spend in bed writing - that's a given with my illnesses - and because writing from bed is comfy! But I'm so glad to have this new space.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh! That chair looks so comfy! It's a very homey space. I like it. Dig the curtains! I currently write in my living room, in an armchair with my laptop, but like you, I much prefer using the ergonomic keyboard. I do have a desk/office setup, but haven't used it since I quit my corporate job. I think it needs a makeover, to completely disassociate it from the old job and make it a writing room! hm! something for the future! :-D

    MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh yes, I think you should do a complete makeover on that space! Turn it into a creative writing haven!

      Delete
    2. I took your advice! I sorted/filed/discarded all the piled up papers (the desk had become a catch-all), and organized things so I have places to put hard-copy story copies. I ordered two new pictures to put on the wall too, and brought in a bulletin board I was going to goodwill, but it's actually perfect for me to pin story stuff too! So thank you very much! :-D I wrote in here a chunk of yesterday and got 2,500 words done. I'm going to try to keep "fun" computer stuff upstairs - browsing internet, blog reading, etc. - and only do actual writing in the office. Really want to separate the two so I don't come downstairs and fritter time away surfing the internet!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous1:11 PM

    What a fabulous space! (Devon).

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...