Saturday, November 29, 2008

Peace

What can I say about Friday? It was glorious. Not only did I get most of my Christmas shopping done (all from the comfort of my chair!), but my daughter and I spent some wonderful time together.

We live in a neighborhood with a few lakes nearby, so we decided to take a nature walk this afternoon. Thank goodness it wasn't very cold out, but we still had our winter coats on. And when we got to the one pond, this is what we found:

Ducks! Lots and lots of ducks! And as we walked around the perimeter of the pond, they kept following us. So we were able to get some great shots of them. My daughter calls this duck "the crazy hair duck." Hehe.

I couldn't get over how beautiful these little guys were - bold, vibrant colors of green, brown, yellow, and gold.



On our walk to another lake, we saw this tree:

I admit, I have never seen anything like this. The bark looks like paper. And the poor thing is peeling! I'm sure there's some fancy word for this and it's completely natural, but it just looks, well, weird.

Anyway.

When we arrived at the other lake, we found this:

Tons and tons of geese. Unfortunately, the little guys were a little more shy and didn't come up to us, so our pictures weren't as good.


Ifeel so blessed to be able to walk out my front door and have all of this nature so close. My daughter, a huge animal lover, really enjoyed the whole experience.

We ended the day with another painting session - and let me tell you, painting Christmas decorations with Christmas music playing in the background put me in the Christmas spirit! And y'know, all the great things we did today probably wouldn't have happened had we had a television. I'm not missing that thing at all!

And to top the evening off? A handwritten note by my daughter:

"Dear Mom, I had a fun time with you going to the lakes and seeing geese and ducks and taking pictures."

Yeah, I'm smiling.



11 comments:

  1. Definitely an appropriate title to your post. Sounds like a perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making wonderful memories together!! Save that note:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on cramming so much beauty and fun into one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos :) Glad you had such a lovely day. You'll have to bring your daughter up here one day - lots of animals to see - including more ducks and geese!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos. I love watching ducks, and that tree looks amazing.

    Glad you've had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That crazy haired duck is a wood duck and I think they are the prettiest of all waterfowl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:27 PM

    Your photos are so lovely. They definitely capture the mood of your peaceful day.

    There's a little pond down the street from my house that's home to many ducks and the occasional egret, ibis and blue heron. Just sitting quietly and watching them go about their business is so relaxing, and often entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures, Melissa. Just this morning we watched flights of geese passing overhead...so ordinary, but somehow amazing at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like an amazing and blessed day. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our silver birch trees shed their bark. At first I thought it looked likd a fungus, but it in fact looks like a bark-shedder. Is there any information material you can get hold of? From a visitor centre perhaps? That should tell you the name of the tree and then you can find out if it's a bark shedder and why.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joanne - It definitely was a peaceful day. I loved it.

    Terri - I think I've saved all the notes she's written to me. They're so precious!

    Angie - And that's the thing - it didn't feel like we were cramming at all. It was all so naturally calming.

    Tess - Oh, my daughter would love that! Will have to plan a trip to Canada some day...

    Debs - Ducks are incredibly fun to watch. We could have stayed there a lot longer, but it was starting to get dark.

    Travis - Thank you! I'll have to tell my daughter the name of it.

    Theresa - We'll definitely be taking more trips to see these guys in action. :-)

    Christine - These same flocks of geese will fly over our house, too. I love to hear them honking.

    Janna - DEFINITELY a blessed day!

    Diane - Good idea. I should do some research on it to find out what type of tree it is.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

THERE IT IS

 It's back.  And who knows for how long? But for this day, for this moment, all is bliss. I'm happy, excited for the future, ready a...