Tuesday, August 08, 2006

That Moment

Last night, I sat down to write. Hubby had the kids. I had my apartment completely to myself. It was quiet. No television. No "Mom, can I have this?" or "Mom, c'mere!" to deal with. Just me, myself, and I - and the computer.

I didn't know what I was going to write next in my novel. I have it plotted out, but not every individual scene. I leave room for surprises. And last night, I got one.

I started writing this scene and about half-way through, I thought, Where am I going with this? Why am I writing this?

I wasn't sure, but I kept on going. And while I was getting ready for bed, it hit me. There was a very good reason why I was writing this scene. In fact, it was an excellent reason. It fit perfectly with something that happened earlier in the story, but I just didn't know it at the time I started to write.

Don't you love moments like that?

BIAW News...

If you'd like to participate in next week's BIAW (Book In A Week), then head on over to Villa in Tuscany and leave a comment to sign up.

10 comments:

  1. I think that is why I'm a panster. I get a special thrill when that happens. It really makes for good writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, sure LOVE those moments. Interestingly enough, even though I DO plot (as opposed to pants-it), I often find scenes turn out different from what I expected when I actually write them. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those moments. Gosh, I live for them! *lol* That's why I'm a total pantser. I let things fall into place, and they usually do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've gotten better about doing some plotting (confessions of an ex-pantzer), but I lurve the surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE moments like that...good for you.

    I would love to sign up for the BIAW but hubby starts holidays next week which means I'm scrambling this week to get as much writing in because I'll get NOTHING done next week with him home LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love it when that happens. Especially when I don't have to cut those scenes later. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when my intuition knows more than I do. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, just wanted to let you know I'm finally getting your book in the mail!:-)

    hugs,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! I love those moments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the progress! Those moments are priceless.

    Envy the childless time, by the way. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

It's Time

I've had this blog for over 10 years. But I'm finding that I go to it less and less. Maybe it's the death of blogging that broug...