Saturday, September 03, 2005

Catch Up

Would you believe I'm FINALLY feeling better? The sore throat is nearly gone. I woke up feeling exhausted, but just kept on plugging away and soon, I started to feel back to my old self again. I updated my Losing the Pounds blog (new background) and can't wait to get back to exercising on Monday. Yeah!!!

I made a list of things to do and I'm quite excited about jumping into my writing again. I also want to look at doing some articles for a new magazine about the American Homefront during World War II. One of my favorite time periods and it inspired me to buy a CD full of songs from the Glen Miller Band. LOVE big band music!

I've also been trolling Amazon.com and Ebay for old movies. I'm looking for one in particular - an old Bob Hope/Dorothy Lamour movie I watched when I was a kid. I have it on tape, but the tape is going bad, as I found out yesterday. Called They Got Me Covered, it is one of the most hilarious slap-stick comedies I've ever watched. Even compared to movies today, it holds its own. Only problem is the DVD is in very short supply and I'm not yet ready to pay $35 for it. We'll see.

That brings to mind another passion of mine that I'm jumping into again. I *love* classic movies. When I was a kid, I loved to watch the old movies on Saturday nights and Sunday afternoons on our PBS station. After my grandparents moved off the farm and into town, they subscribed to cable and got AMC - American Movie Classics. Grandma taped a bunch of old movies on her VCR for me and I still have them. But now it's time to upgrade to DVD. Unfortunately, we don't have cable now - just watch movies on our DVD and VCR - and so I really really miss TCM - Turner Classic Movies. Oh, how I loved that channel!

I'd also like to get some movie posters for my collection, although right now I have no place to hang them. I'd like to eventually have a "movie den" in our new house decorated with classic movie posters and with a great theater system.

Anyway, I picked up Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr's famous movie An Affair to Remember yesterday and also ordered State Fair and The Best Years of Our Lives from Amazon.com I've got a list that continues to grow of the movies I remember watching and that I want on DVD. Can't believe how many I remember! Cary Grant seems to be a favorite of mine, though. I already have three of his movies - Father Goose with Leslie Caron (hilarious!) and the Grass is Greener, another with Deborah Kerr. Frank Sinatra is another favorite. I already have Von Ryan's Express, but I plan to pick up a few others, like The Tender Trap and High Society with Bing Crosby and Grace Kelley.

Wal-Mart often has those big stashes of DVD's for $1 - and much to my surprise, I found another favorite of mine - The Scarlet Pimpernel with Merle Oberon and Leslie Howard (1930's) I remember watching that as a very young girl and absolutely loving it.

With my love of classic movies, I've got a story idea or two brewing in my brain...

Now my family has no excuse for buying bad Christmas presents! *grin* Classic movies, books, or Snoopy and you're forever in my good graces!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:29 PM

    So glad you're feeling better! And I love old movies and Glenn Miller, too. One of my favorites is "Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree." My husband and I have "In the Mood" as our song--love dancing to that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old movies but hardly ever get chance to watch them. Kids, DH and writing :( I love Cary Grant and James Stewart. Inspired me to check out DVD's in Walmart now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:34 PM

    Glad you're feeling better! And be sure to print out your blog column so the family can see it. *g*

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...