Friday, July 15, 2005

Coloring and Writing

I sat at my computer last night, trying to get a few pages written before bedtime called. My five-year-old daughter wanted to play a video game, but she'd already watched a movie and I thought she should do something else other than sit in front of the t.v. After a few tears and pleas, she finally gave in, went and got her colors and her new coloring book.

Unfortunately, she decided to color right next to me.

If I was just surfing the 'Net or doing other mindless things, I wouldn't have minded. Actually, I still don't mind that she was right there beside me because I like to have her around. But she kept asking me questions. And telling me to "look at what I colored" and asking more questions.

But being the wonderfully calm mother that I am (well, at least I was last night), I made the obligatory remarks and tried once more to work on my manuscript. I did manage to get a page written.

I thought about giving up a few times and just joining her in her coloring ventures. But for some odd reason, that little thing called self-discipline kicked in and refused to let me budge. I plugged away.

When I went to bed last night, though, I couldn't help but feel that I'd been out of touch with my story, that I wasn't quite into it as much as I should have been.

I figure I can always go back and change things - what's important is that I got words on the page and spent time with my daughter at the same time. What could be better? :-)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:58 PM

    Yes, that's right. You worked, you kept your head in the book, you made some forward progress--and you were a mom. What more can you ask from a day than that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son came to me from the front room (we have this square shaped house you can chase around) naked and completely covered in poo. I followed the trail to the dirty diaper and began the containment process.

    Give me coloring anyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Toni! I remember those days...yeah, I'll take coloring over poop, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...