Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Power of Fantasy


Let me tell you about my dreams last night...

For some reason, I was at a Hollywood bar. And sitting to my left was the delectable Christian Bale.

And as generally occurs in the land of fantasy, I wasn't married and neither was he. (And of course, I was skinny.)

I knew I had to be the type of gal that wouldn't fall all over him if I was to get his attention. So I did what I do best - I listened. I listened to him talk about Hollywood, about the angst he was going through, etc., etc. And at one point, he came over to me, put his arm around me, and said, "What are you doing Tuesday night?"

"Nothing," I replied.

"Have dinner with me."

"Okay."

The rest of the dream got a little weird as it wasn't me who was having dinner with him, but someone else. But that's ok - the important part is that Christian Bale asked me on a date.

I remember waking up (or maybe I was still in dreamland) and thinking, "Wait a minute. Christian Bale is married! He has kids! But oh...maybe I can dream about Matthew...he's free now!" (Yes - he and Penelope Cruz are no longer a couple. Ladies, we can dream again!)

And I promptly did just that.

I was Matthew McConaughey's personal assistant. Have you seen the movie Sahara? Well, Matthew was wearing that white suit with his shirt open to reveal that very sexy chest of his and his hair was long. I was the one who had to keep the foolish, drooling girls away from him (and believe me, there were plenty). And he loved me for it. But it was a tough job - after all, being in love with your employer isn't easy!

When I woke up this morning to the harsh light of reality *grin*, I smiled. There is something about indulging in our fantasies that just leaves you with a good feeling during the day. The chances of me even meeting Christian Bale or Matthew are slim to absolute none. And that's ok. They're fantasy men - and that's where they belong. I'm sure in reality, I'd probably be a bit disappointed. (Ok, maybe not.)

That's the power of fiction - and romance novels, in particular. We can indulge in these fantasies for awhile and really, that's ok. Reality can be a bit too harsh sometimes and we need that mental break. Romances fills that need, but also servesas a wonderful reminder of the love and affection that exists in real life.

7 comments:

  1. Now there are two dreams you don't want to wake up from. I don't suppose I was in them anywhere was I? Perhaps sitting on Christian's lap or something...??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa - you're right about fantasy. It's important, and our dreams help us indulge in them guilt free. And romances constantly reaffirm the power of love to overcome so much. And give us hope when things are bad.

    Kelly - ROTFL.

    PS - To whom is CB married? A star? Or someone regular? I'd never heard he was married.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tess - According to IMDB, his wife was Winona Ryder's personal assistant and that is how they met. Their first child was born in March of 2005.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those are some fine dreams you had. Geez, I never have cool dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly, sorry, you weren't in my dream. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couldn't comment yesterday - blogger didn't like me.

    Wow, some imagination there - you ought to consider writing a book ...

    And it doesn't matter whether he's married or not ... Hugh Jackman stars in most of my dreams.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

THERE IT IS

 It's back.  And who knows for how long? But for this day, for this moment, all is bliss. I'm happy, excited for the future, ready a...