Monday, February 25, 2008

Accentuate the Positive


There's no particular reason I picked this picture other than I think it's fun and why can't we have fun on a Monday? We gotta "Accentuate the Positive" as the old song goes. It's Monday, yes, but it's also a day full of possibilities, right?

Saturday I spent nearly the whole day with my laptop, lounging on the couch, and writing on the novel - managed to get quite a bit done, too. Also listened to Frank Sinatra's In the Wee Small Hours album and realized it is scratched pretty badly, so I need to buy a new copy. I've played that album so many times, I'm not really surprised.

Sunday I went to church, browsed through Barnes & Noble and picked up a book and a magazine, had a nice, quiet lunch to myself, then went home and spent time with the family. My best friend called me last night and I hadn't talked to her for months, but it was like time never passed - we picked up right where we left off. That's the wonderful thing about our friendship - we both lead very busy lives, so we don't get upset if we stay out of touch for awhile.

So yeah. Not a very exciting weekend, but pleasant. The weather wasn't bad, either. You could get away with wearing a jacket and the sun was shining. Beautiful.

While browsing through the magazine I bought at B&N, World War II, I came across an announcement for the Second Annual International Conference on World War II. And boy, did I start drooling. Why? Because it's not only going to be held at the D-Day Museum in New Orleans (I've visited New Orleans, but not the D-Day museum), but the topic of discussion is one very near and dear to my heart - Real to Reel: World War II in Film, Documentaries & Newsreels.

Oh. My. Goodness. Do I ever want to attend this. Unfortunately, I don't think I have the cash to finagle it right now (it's in April which doesn't leave a lot of time to save, plus I don't have that many vacation days left!) but oh, how I would love to go. There are some people giving presentations that I'd love to meet, including Arnold Krammer, whose book on German POWs in the U.S. during the war was instrumental in my thesis.

I must admit, my brain gets starved for lectures every once in awhile, and this conference would be FULL of them. I really just need to keep my eyes open and see what speakers are appearing at our local university, and maybe I could sit in on a class taught by my old advisor now and then. Hmm...that's a good idea.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:29 AM

    You can find a way to go and GO. This is a terrific opportunity. I'm sure you can get deals on flights, hotels, etc., especially in New Orleans, and take the time off.

    When's your birthday? Suggest donations towards the trip be in lieu of physical gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:30 AM

    PS It's also a tax write-off, so save all your receipts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, my birthday is in June.

    They have an all-in-one package right now - hotel and conference for around $600. But then I have to figure my airfare. When all is said and done, it would probably cost me around $1000. I'm also planning another, cheaper vacation with my mom in June, and I don't have enough vacation time for both. :-( Darn, darn day job, sometimes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe they'll post the proceedings online once the conference is over :) Ya never know! Looks like one Sean would be interested in too. Were you ever able to find Foyle's War?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tess - I'm pretty sure Blockbuster would have it - but I haven't had the time to watch it yet. :-)

    Yeah, I'm hoping they'll post some of the lectures online. I know that one of the professors speaking is from my local university - maybe I could somehow finagle a few copies out of him.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...