Tuesday, July 31, 2007

If It's Not One Thing...



The pounds are starting to creep back on. Not many, but I can definitely tell in my clothes that I'm gaining again.

I'd like to think this isn't my fault. But to tell you the truth, when I was in the hospital visiting hubby, I indulged a bit. The hospital food wasn't the greatest, but they did make pretty good desserts. Hehe.

I really didn't care about calories too much at that point, and I should have. I did try and eat my veggies, though. ;-)

But honestly. There's only so much energy a person has. And mine wasn't focused on my weight loss.

So now I've had to reign myself in again. I'm back working out at Curves, something I wasn't able to do when hubby was in the hospital. I've really started to watch my food intake. I like to hover somewhere around 1500 calories a day. And I'm sticking to my dark chocolate from now on. That curbs my sweet tooth cravings.

Here's the funny thing. When I was going to Curves all the time and watching my calories, I could pretty much eat whatever I wanted and I wasn't gaining anything. But the combination of stress, sitting in a hospital room for hours on end (even though we did go for a few walks) and, well, stress, really hit me hard. I'm one of those people who eats when they get emotionally upset. I recognize that and try to stop it before it gets too bad. But I slip and fall. Unfortunately, I allowed myself to slip too much.

I still wonder why it's so incredibly easy to gain weight, but so terribly hard to lose it.

On Writing...

Dived into the manuscript last night. I'm writing a scene that is full of conflict. And I can't wait to crack open the laptop tonight!

6 comments:

  1. Mel, what a difficult summer you are having.

    Losing weight is just harder as we get older and our metabolism adjusts. Stick to it--don't worry too much--you've got the determination to sort it out.

    Hugs--Toni.XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:08 PM

    That's a lot of stress to navigate. I eat more when under pressure too. You'll be back on track before you know it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:00 AM

    The key is replacing food as the stress reliever. Just not doing anything will make you backslide even further.

    Try replacing it with yoga or some other form of exercise. Whenever you crave the stress-eating, so a 5 minute sequence or take a ride on a bike (stationary or otherwise) and it will go away.

    I'm the opposite --when I am stressed, I stop eating. Completely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food is comfort. I turn to it myself. The trick is to not have the stuff in the house. I was really anxious the other day and all I wanted was something nasty and bad for me. I ended up settling for a bowl of Lucky Charms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure you'll work out the weight issue - you've done it before. As for the writing - glad to hear you're so gung ho!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'd say you have a pretty good excuse for putting on a few pounds. But now you're back on track.

    People like you and I have to look at weight loss not in the short term, but as a long-term lifestyle. We'll have ups and downs along the way, but it's always trying again that counts.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...