Thursday, April 14, 2005

Digging Up Perennials

I made the rather interesting decision to take out the perennials in my front flower bed. I have never seen a root system like these plants. To me, it looks like an alien life-form complete with six-inch tentacles and bulbous eyes. At any rate, with all the rain we received in the last few days, I was able to dig them up rather easily last night. Of course, my daughter constantly asked me if I'd found any worms yet. I did manage to find a rather large nightcrawler and she was thrilled.

On the writing front, I'm still working on my plot. In fact, while getting my hands quite muddy, I tried to think of new and fresh things to do with my latest historical. That's what agents/editors/publishers are looking for these days, or at least that's what they're telling us. There are no new plots - only fresh ways to tell them. So off I go to the drawing board. Oddly, this has a strange way of freezing my creative process. I'm confident I'll figure out a way to work through it.

I'm thinking this blog might be the answer. After all, for those curious to see exactly how a writer works, this would be the perfect venue.

My inspirational novel is still in the works, but I haven't looked at it in a few days. It's rather hard to shift from the home front of World War II to 1811 Regency England. But it also allows me to explore my different "voices." I have a great writing friend who says she has to "translate" her voice when she writes historicals. I find that very interesting and very true. It is a bit easier to write the more contemporary stories for me because the voice isn't all that different from everyday speech. When working on historicals, however, that is part of the appeal - to dive into a completely different time. I thoroughly enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:27 PM

    You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Nurses and huge penis Dance kid leotards blackhawk furniture online

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...