Tuesday, November 08, 2022

Follow Your Truth

I've been struggling to write my class paper for a month now.

After class last night (which I had to attend via Zoom - I'm still dealing with this stupid flare!), I felt I had a better handle on what I needed to do.

But here's what really got me over the hurdle.

"Melissa," I said to myself, "stop trying to write how you think you should write. Write it how you want to write it."

And suddenly, the words came. I rewrote my introduction, telling the story I wanted to tell. It felt right where before it felt, well, weird.

What is that saying? To thine own
self be true
.

This saying is not only important in our writing, but in our lives, as well. I'm facing a big decision soon and I have to keep returning to this sentiment again and again: Be true to yourself. Follow your truth, not anyone else's.




2 comments:

  1. Well done! When we trust the work, it flows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing to me how I twisted myself into a pretzel over it all. GAH!

      Delete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...