Thursday, November 17, 2022

Finding Joy in the Little Things

I've always taken great pleasure in finding joy in the little things. Life is, after all, made up of little moments and inconsequential things that add up to precious memories. Grand vacations, spectacular parties, and other big occasions are obviously causes for joy, but I would rather find contentment in the so-called "mundane" aspects of life.

Tonight, for example, my boyfriend lit a fire in the fireplace, and we worked on a puzzle while my daughter
played a video game. The pets joined us, and it was cozy and calm and wonderful. I need those simple moments in my life.

Every night, I usually pop up a small bag of popcorn (only 100 calories - ha!), have a few squares of dark chocolate, and a Diet Pepsi. Yes, it's nothing big, but oh how I look forward to it all day long. 

Other things I find joy in...

  • Walking. When the weather allows it, I walk outside. I enjoy listening to the birds, and soaking in the sounds of nature.
  • Bird watching. I have bird feeders outside my back window, and I love to see them chattering and scattering seed everywhere.
  • Jigsaw puzzles. I started doing this two years ago, and have since finished several puzzles. I have them framed so I can enjoy them forever.
  • Watching classic movies. I am obsessed with movies from the 1940s through the early 1960s. I have an impressive DVD collection. Heh.
  • Hanging out with my adult daughter. We often stay up late gabbing about anything and everything.
  • Reading a good book. Really, there's nothing like escaping into another world, whether its fiction or nonfiction.
  • Having my cat snuggle on my lap. The funny thing is that Slick never snuggled with me until about two years ago. 
  • Collecting Snoopy items. I've managed to amass quite the collection and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.
  • Taking pictures of my dog, Blitz. He's so photogenic and brings me immense happiness.

Those are but a few examples of the little things that bring me joy. I have many, many more!

What brings you joy?



4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:46 AM

    Aw, I love your list and several of those are on my list as well -- walks, bird watching, classic movies, hanging with my sister, cats cuddling on me, taking pics of my dog... And it's funny you bring this up, cuz just last month my sister and I were talking about this and she had me make a collage of pictures that represented the things that brought me joy. It's on my cell phone, and we bring it up whenever we need a reminder of those little things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love the idea of making a collage of the things that bring you joy!

      Delete
  2. Hmm, things that give me joy: writing, reading, my cats, yoga, meditation, dance, being out in nature, cooking, fiber crafts. Among other things!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...