Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Fight Through the Fear


 All day long I worried.

I'd been reading a novel set in the same time period as the one I'm currently writing. I didn't like it, so I found some reviews. Many readers saw the same flaws I did in the novel, and I wondered again why some books are published and others are not. 

But I also know that books are art, and art is subjective. 

What if my novel received bad reviews? What if I couldn't pull it off? Should I even bother?

I could feel the resistance starting to build the wall in my head, brick by brick. 

"Maybe I'll skip tonight's writing session," I thought.

But then I rebelled. "No. If I cave in to the fear and the dread, it'll drag on and on, and I'll end up avoiding the novel for days, if not weeks."

So. I decided to face the fear. 

I grabbed my headphones, put on my writing playlist, and opened the Word doc. 

And I began to write.

I wrote and wrote, and before I knew it, I'd finished the chapter. 

It's amazing what can spook our psyche. 

But we can either give in to it, or push back. 

Last night I chose to push back. I ended my writing session on such a high I wanted to dance around the room. I didn't, of course, because I'm sick with strep throat, but inwardly, oh did I dance.

Fight the fear. Write.

5 comments:

  1. Oh man. This is exactly what I needed to hear tonight. Thank you. And I also love hearing from fellow writers about those joyous moments. This was a pep talk and celebration all rolled into one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad it resonated with you!

      Delete
  2. Good for you, writing through it anyway. And well done on finishing the chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! I count each finished chapter as a mini victory!

      Delete
  3. Good for you. It's so hard. I had a disappointment yesterday and was ready to just quit. All of it. Because why? But I also know that what I have to say is somewhat different from what's out there, and besides, I'm not qualified for anythgn else! ;) But sometimes, it's hard. Good for you for sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...