Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Dealing with Emotional Clutter

When I was a kid, my room was usually a disaster. I wouldn't leave dirty clothes on the floor, but I would leave piles of books, stacks of paper, and odds and ends all over the place. Eventually my mother would get tired of it and clean it up. I don't know why she didn't make me clean it up - it was my mess, after all! 

As an adult, my messy bedroom hasn't really changed. I still have books piled all over the place, stacks of paper, and odds and ends...and for some reason, it doesn't bother me.

Until it does.

And then I'm a cleaning whirlwind. When I'm done, I feel sooo much better. Why do I allow my bedroom to get this way in the first place? Honestly, I don't notice it. I'm so deep into whatever project I'm working on, whether it's a paper for class, or my novel, or something else, that the mess builds and builds and I don't see it. When I start noticing it, I get irritated for a few days until I can't take it anymore and clean.

My brain is the same way. If it's cluttered in my head - I'm having problem with a project, or I'm troubled by something in the world, or my relationship, or I'm wrestling with some other issue - it builds and builds and builds. Metaphorically, I have stacks of "stuff" piling up in my brain. When I notice myself getting irritated or feel depression settling on my shoulders, I have to stop and figure out why - and start decluttering and cleaning.

How do I accomplish this? 

My last completed puzzle
I journal. I go take a walk outside or I jump on the treadmill and listen to some music. I'll lose myself in a novel for awhile or put together a puzzle.  I'll talk about my issues with my boyfriend, or a trusted friend. Sometimes, if it's more serious, I'll make an appointment with my therapist. And wow, do I ever feel better once I "clean" up the chaos in my mind.

If only I could learn not to let it build up in the first place...

Maybe some day, right? A girl can hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...