Sunday, July 02, 2023

When It Works

Well what do you know. When I follow a routine, turn off the TV, close social media tabs on my laptop, put on some music, and actually focus, I can get a lot of writing done.

Last night's writing session started off with me wanting to tear my hair out, but I kept at it. Soon, I dove into the heart of my scene, and the words flew. I managed to write 1700 words. I haven't done that in a long time!

I needed it. I needed to lose myself in my story, reconnect with my characters, and tell my inner editor to jump off a bridge. Of course, the inner editor always  crawls out of whatever hole I've exiled it to, and it worms its way into my brain again. It's persistent.

But then again, so am I.

With Twitter's recent issues again, staying off of it has been fairly easy. Some people have started social media accounts on other, similar sites in case Twitter truly implodes, but I don't think I will. My mood is much better not being on that app all day, and becoming involved with stupid debates with stupid people.

Usually after a big writing session, I feel somewhat drained the next day. I've fiddled with my manuscript a bit, added a few things, but I don't think I'll have another 1700 writing session tonight. But ideas for scenes keep coming which means when I sit down to write again, I'll know where to start. 

In Other News...

1) For the last two mornings, I've found one of my suet feeders laying on the ground, completely empty. I have a sneaking suspicion one of my backyard foxes is the culptit. I had no idea they liked suet! Until I can figure out another solution, I'll have to move it every night. This isn't sustainable, of course, but I'm betting my boyfriend will have some ideas.

2) Since the 4th of July is only a few days away, people are shooting off fireworks. Blitz and Slick hate the noise. LuLu doesn't care. We're not doing anything special for the holiday - probably grill some hot dogs, and eat some potato salad and baked beans. Fine by me! I have no desire to be around people right now.

3) Last night I realized that if I didn't start taking regular walks again, I'd be in a world of hurt come October's Scotland trip. I need to recondition myself. So! With that in mind, I actually felt good enough today to jump on the treadmill and do some toning exercises. My body craved movement, and when I finished, I felt fantastic! Here's hoping I don't pay for it tomorrow...





4 comments:

  1. What a great few days! Yeah, the fireworks. They're much less of a problem here than they were on Cape, but last night wasn't fun for the cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slick is really bothered by fireworks and thunderstorms. Poor guy. I sometimes wonder why people want to spend SO much money on stuff they're just blowing up, especially when our city has a fireworks display every year.

      Delete
  2. So glad you found those words. And I hope you weren't too sore on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Monday wasn't too bad...and I even took a walk last night AND tonight! Amazing!

      Delete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...