Friday, June 30, 2023

Re-Wiring the Brain

Scientific studies prove our brains have been rewired by the Internet and social media. With us flitting from one site to another, our attention span becomes scattered, and focusing on a project is far more difficult.

I've definitely noticed a huge difference in my ability to focus on one thing at a time. Even when I'm engrossed in a movie, I will often check the notifications on my phone. There's no need for me to do this. But as further studies prove, social media is a type of addiction. I absolutely believe it. When I've taken social media breaks, I recognize how hard it is not to open my phone and see who has responded or liked a tweet or mine, or who has commented on an Instagram post. Those likes, comments, etc. give us a rush of dopamine, and our brain becomes addicted to it. 

This has had a huge impact on my writing, and I want it to stop.

But how? Quit social media altogether? That's not sustainable. For one, I enjoy social media - I've met so many wonderful people through it, and I would miss my friends. Two, the writing community is very active on social media and I don't want to lose that. 

I've toyed with the idea of not checking social media after a certain time of the day. Since I write in the evenings, this is probably the best strategy. Of course, the fly in the ointment of this plan is my health. When I feel awful (like I did all day today), I need to distract myself. Social media offers a community of chronic illness warriors like me, and I on flare days, reading their posts and memes help me feel better. 

Twitter has become less appealing to me ever since that "guy" bought it, and I have not enjoyed the uptick in white supremacist, racist, and Holocaust-denying accounts. I noticed I'm not on Twitter as much, but again, on the days when I don't feel good, I'll scroll through it mindlessly. When I'm feeling rotten, I try and show myself grace and not be too harsh on myself - because that will only make me feel worse.

The solution? For my writing sessions, I need to start disciplining myself. Close tabs. Turn off the TV (sometimes I'll write with a classic movie playing in the background, but I'm finding I do not do my best work when this happens). Do the writing ritual I started a few weeks ago (lighting the candle). I'm doing myself a disservice by being so distracted when I write, and not writing to my potential.

 And during non-writing times, I want to stop jumping on social media for no reason. There are too many books to read and puzzles to do. 

In so doing, I hope I can start re-wiring my brain. 

I've done this before and then lapsed into old habits (social media addiction is a very real thing!), so maybe this time I can get it to stick? Wish me luck!




3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:31 AM

    Oh man, I totally get this, even though the only social media I do these days is check my favorite bloggers and instagram. I already dumped FB, and I have never tried Twitter. Instagram is where many writers are, and there is lots of good stuff there... but it's also a rabbit hole of cute videos, sometimes useful videos. It can just suck the time up like nothing else and I get nothing out of it other than some much-needed smiles and laughs. I try to only check blogger in the morning and instagram at night, and the rest of the time, do other things, but that doesn't always work. That is an excellent quote. I hope you find a good balance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:31 AM

      This is Deb... blogger just doesn't like to log me in anymore.

      Delete
    2. It looks like Twitter has started limiting how many posts you can see in a day if you don't pay for it - which is ridiculous - so my time is being reduced there whether I like it or not! I love Instagram, too - and the writing community is really great! But like you, yes, I can fall into a rabbit hole VERY quickly.

      Delete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...