Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Summer Blues

 It happens every single year.

The summer months hit and so does my depression. It starts off slowly, just a few miserable days here and there, and then it truly sets in, like a viral infection invading my cells. 

I'm convinced I have the opposite of SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder - which most people grapple with during the autumn and winter months due to lack of sunlight. Not me. Too much sunlight and heat drive me to the edge. I joke around and call it the "demon sun" but there is a hint of truth to my statement. In a way it feels like a demon intruding upon every part of my life, cruel and unforgiving. I stay inside most of the time, though when it cools off in the evening, I try and sit on my patio and watch my wildlife. But the truly awful days, the one where the moment you step outside you feel like you've stepped into an oven, are coming. Those are the days I struggle with the most.

Today I've struggled with depression all day. I have periodic moments of happiness. Tonight my little family all watched the fun Disney movie The Incredibles, a movie I've seen countless times, but I still enjoy it. I worked on a jigsaw puzzle, my dog snuggled between my daughter and my boyfriend, and all was well with the world.

And then abruptly, my mood changed, and I plunged into deep despair. My thoughts turned dark. "You're so fat," my inner critic said. "Why don't you just stop eating? Your boyfriend probably looks at your thighs and thinks, 'Eww, gross.'" Why do we talk to ourselves like this? I would never, ever tell my friends such terrible things! When we are at our lowest, these kinds of thoughts attack and try to derail us. 

I am so, so tired of going through this miserable depression every single summer. But I'm working on a solution.

If I can be somewhere cooler during the summer, somewhere exciting and energizing, maybe the depression wouldn't attack. I've thought of Maine here in the U.S., and Ireland or somewhere in the U.K. It all boils down to money, of course, but I need to do something if at all possible. Since I work remotely now, I could easily go somewhere else for three months (and I already have my boss's approval to do this). The problem, however, is how to make it all work so my daughter and my boyfriend can come with me. 

Why does Ireland or the U.K. appeal to me? Not only would it be cooler temperatures, but oh, how much fun I'd have exploring! I've always wanted to live overseas, and I'm at a point in my life where I need to start taking these dreams seriously. I figure a nice test would be living three or four months overseas and see if I like it. If I do, then I can pursue something long term. If I don't? Well, then. I've tried at least, right?

For next summer, however, I might look at going to Maine. I could go and explore New England, something I've always wanted to do. Money is an issue, however, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my next novel sells. I know I won't be quitting the day job, but if I can make enough money to fund my summer living situation through my writing, that would be a dream come true.

In the meantime, I'm using the tools in my toolbox. Watching classic movies, doing jigsaw puzzles, finding inspirational quotes or posts on Instagram and Pinterest, journaling, reading, watching my backyard birds, taking photos,
and talking to friends. Walking outside on the trails or jumping on my treadmill would normally also be in that toolbox, but ever since I had Covid in March, I'm really struggling to find the energy to do either. That is also contributing to my depression. Sigh.

BUT. I don't give up. I want to give up sometimes, but I won't. Since July is nearly here, that means only three months before my trip to Scotland. That is definitely something to look forward to!

4 comments:

  1. Maine can get pretty miserably hot and humid in the summer, too (I have extended family there), so make sure you get a place with A/C. And be careful of the midges. They can make life miserable. I'd also suggest applying to artist colonies there -- some are on islands -- although you'd have to go on your own. But if you get a funded residency, you'd have time and space to work at your own pace in a supported community, and then could explore New England from there (come visit me in the Berkshires). Summer rentals have gotten expensive in Maine, but there are still some deals. Maybe look across the border, in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick? it's beautiful, similar to Maine.

    I'm all for all things Scotland. I love renting from the National Trust when I travel there. Edinburgh is a city of my heart, but I also love the Ayrshire coast in the west, especially around Culzean Castle (we used to stay in the Brewhouse flat).

    Have you considered Iceland? They have a 100% literacy rate, most people spend multiple languages, and it's gorgeous and temperate in the summer.

    I do not do well in heat and humidity. It hasn't been as hot as usual here yet, but the humidity this past week sucked the life out of me, in many ways, and then the self-loathing spiraling starts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of an artist colony! I'm going to look into that. Thank you!
      Only three months until Scotland...we're staying in Edinburgh and taking day trips each day. I can't wait!!!

      Delete
  2. One of the things I'm most happy about now that I live in Northern Idaho... short summers. And while we can have days in the 90s, even the 100s, it's so very few. We've barely been into the 80s so far this year. Mostly been 70s and we even dropped back to the 50s last week, with nights in the 30s! Not like when I lived in So. Cal, and it's often 90 degrees in February. Blech! I can't handle the heat anymore. July and August are the only two months that can get hot here, and we're not humid, so, I can handle that.

    I think spending the hottest months in a cooler area sounds like a great idea, whether that's overseas or somewhere cooler in the US.

    Hang in there, Scotland is coming!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE temps like yours! I could take some days in the 50s right about now!

      Delete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...