Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Insert Witty Title Here

The words aren't coming tonight.

They feel stilted, jumbled, nonsensical. Like a clogged pipe, only a few words are managing to swim through the gunk. I figured writing a blog post might push the clog out, release the flow. Even that is proving tortuous. 

It could be because I woke up with a massive flare today. I did nothing yesterday to cause it. I suspect the morning thunderstorm and the terrible humidity we experienced is the root cause, but then again, who knows? 

I keep finding wonderful autumn pictures and quotes on Pinterest. I cannot wait for autumn. It truly is my favorite season and just thinking about those cool, fall days brings me immense joy. I love how the trees turn colors, from golden yellow to russet red and fiery orange. So much beauty. I never used to be a big Halloween gal, but I've changed in the last few years, and now it's one of my favorite holidays. I don't hand out candy, but prefer to spend the evening watching scary movies and eating my Boo Berry cereal. 

I found this meme on Twitter and laughed out loud because it describes me perfectly:


July is this week - where did June go? - and I'm okay with that because it means autumn looms ever closer. I don't much care for the 4th of July - the nonsteop fireworks cause my pets far too much anxiety. Last year we went out to the lake to watch the fireworks, but it was miserably hot, with too many bugs, and we definitely won't be doing that again.

As I write this post, I see what's happening. I am worried about every single word I put on the page. My inner editor is working overtime, not allowing me to write in flow. There's a great book about that topic - I need to re-read it - called Writing In Flow: Keys to Enhanced Creativity by Susan Perry. It's not often I can enter flow and be so immersed in my story that I lose track of time. Instead, it's this herky-jerky writing more often than not. Why, I wonder? Is it due to my cognitive issues from my chronic illnesses? Or has my attention span been damaged from social media? Whatever the cause, I really would like to be able to jump into my story and just lose myself for hours writing. 

I suspect, however, that tonight's writing session has been hard because I'm coming up on the climax and I still haven't quite figured out how I'm going to write it. So I'm dithering. 

And honestly, I know if I just buckle down, concentrate, and exercise some self-discipline, I can finish this novel within the next few weeks. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...