Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Something A Little Different

As many of you know, I've struggled with my health for a number of years. I've documented it on this blog and have found some wonderful support from others. That support is one of the many reasons I love blogging!

A few months ago, I was scheduled to undergo surgery again to help with my "female" problems. It wasn't a hysterectomy, but rather a "temporary" fix to my massively messed up cycles. While sitting in the doctor's office and making all the appointments for the surgery, I kept thinking, "This doesn't feel right."

Not only did I not want to go under the knife again like I did a little over a year ago (I had a reaction to the anesthesia and felt like I couldn't breathe when I woke up), but I also didn't like the thought of a temporary fix.

So after praying about it and thinking long and hard, I made a decision to cancel the surgery and try something else.

That something else is acupuncture.

Now I'm a girl that doesn't particularly like needles, but with all my health problems over the years, I've gotten used to the pointy things. In fact, back in 2001, I went and visited an acupuncturist after I wasn't getting any results with traditional medicine. You know what? It worked. Why I haven't gone back since then is a mystery to me.

I've exhausted my medical options - short of surgery - for my health right now, and I'm giving this a fair shot. It worked last time, so I'm feeling positive that it will work this time, too.

I don't pretend to understand it, and I don't believe in the "yin and yang" stuff, but I do know that it has proven results. They even use acupuncture on animals. Whatever it does, it works.

Yesterday I had my first appointment. My doctor is also a medical doctor and an acupuncturist with more than 20 years experience, so I felt like I was in good hands. When he put the needles in, I barely felt it. The needles themselves are not hard like sewing needles or the needles used to draw blood. They're bendy and very light. He put them in my legs, my abdomen, on top of my head, and even on my ears. After 25 minutes of relaxing, they took them out and I went back to work.

They told me I might have a great night's sleep - or I might be restless. Thankfully, it was the first - I slept completely through the night, and I haven't done that in a long time.

I'll be going for treatment once a week for awhile, and I'm anxious to see what happens. I'll keep you updated.

Have you ever had acupuncture? Ever wanted to try it?

12 comments:

  1. I've never used acupuncture, but while living in the UK I saw an osteopath for my back; a great women who did a lot for me! Surgery is a massive undertaking. My husband narrowly escaped it in 2006 for issues with his vertebrae; the pain just went away! Now he's looking at sorting a goiter, and just may have to bite the bullet. But if you can find other means of relief, go for it! No matter what, God has His hands on you, and if other measures are necessary, He'll be with you every step of the way! My prayers are with you today... :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa-I've heard good things about acupuncture-my sister has it done for her back. I'm glad you got a good night's sleep:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna - Thank you so much. :-)

    Valerie - Ahhh...last night's sleep was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had acupuncture, but if you can avoid surgery with it, I'd say definitely give it a try. And it looks like, so far, so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so thrilled you've found something that seems to work so well for you. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joanne - DEFINITELY want to avoid surgery, so here's hoping this will do the trick!

    Thanks, Debs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had acupuncture. But I've referred lots of my animal patients to a good veterinary acupuncturist, for conditions that Western medicine can't do much for. The thing about animals is, there's no such thing as a placebo effect -- it either works or it doesn't. And in many cases, it works. Made a believer out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We'll all be waiting to hear your success story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christine - I think it's fascinating that it works on animals. It does go a long way to proving that there's actually something to it.

    Sandi - Here's hoping it's not too far in the future! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey-- if it works that is what counts! A good friend of mine did it for her allergies and swore it worked:) I am so sorry about your friend:(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terri - My mom used it to clear up this terrible itching she had in her hands. Everything the dermatologist gave her didn't work - but the acupuncture did! And thank you...he was a very talented individual.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope the acupuncture works for you... I feel like I've been involved in acupuncture since February when I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes (yeah, I'm not a juvenile anymore). Your blog on being a professional writer is interesting--I've read a few of your posts.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...