Friday, July 30, 2010

The Agony and the Ecstasy

Lately I've been planning a new, improved plot for my work-in-progress. I mired around in the muck of "unknowns" for too long with this novel, and all activity eventually ground to a halt simply because I didn't know which directly to go next.

After finally convincing myself that I need an outline, I started writing down each step I needed my characters to take. It's a slow process as I think things through (I sometimes think too much, believe it or not) and make sure it fits with the the vision I have for my novel.

My emotions were rather mixed last night, though. Along with the elation of coming up with a better plot fraught with tension and suspense came the agonizing despair of knowing I will have to cut a lot of the stuff I've already written.

GAH.

I know in the end it will be worth it, and as I never truly discard any of my writing (I have a file devoted specifically to "deleted scenes"), I may have material for a later story.

It's all part of the process - the agony and the ecstasy - of creating.

3 comments:

  1. I too have mixed feeling when it comes to outlines. Try as I might I simply can't seem to stick to them. I WISH I knew my book that well from the outset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking this stuff through is so much work, but it'll be so worth it.

    I have to have a draft done before I can outline, though. Sounds weird, but I have to know the story first before I can figure out the best way to tell it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I write, the more I use an outline even though I hate them but it saves me from cutting so much!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

THERE IT IS

 It's back.  And who knows for how long? But for this day, for this moment, all is bliss. I'm happy, excited for the future, ready a...