Friday, August 25, 2023

Oh My

 Been awhile since I posted. That's okay. I'm all about giving myself grace lately.

A few weeks ago, I decided to go off of the opioids I'd been on for three months for my chronic pain. I pretty much went cold turkey. Maybe not the smartest move because the day after I quit was horrendous. I fell into a pit of depression so black and deep that I wondered if I'd ever crawl out. But I kept thinking, 'You'll get through this. Just hold on." 

So I did. And I made it.

The last two weeks since have been significantly better. I've been working out again and even though the pain is back, I'm just trying to ignore it. Isn't that awful, though? While the opioids helped with the pain, I didn't like how they made me feel, and I suspect they were making me feel worse overall. That's why I got off of them. 

But for chronic pain patients, I know this is often not an option, and I fully support people's access to opioids for their pain. I just couldn't do it this time.

What are the options for people with chronic pain? Not much. I've tried a lot of the options out there and though I had success with one - low-dose naltrextone -  it quit working after awhile. I may try it again, though, as my body enjoys reversing course quite often.

Book Edits

I've been steadily working on editing my novel, and I've had some major breakthroughs that will make it a much better story.

Heat Wave

We had a terrible heat wave this week with temps in the low 100s. Yes, you read that right. 103, 104, and even 106 were the highs here. It was AWFUL. I felt like a prisoner in my home, unable to even go outside and enjoy watching my birds. Heck, the birds were sticking to the leafy branches and not bothering to come out and eat! The heat finally broke today and tomorrow is supposed to be around 80. I'll take it.

Scotland!

I am chomping at the bit to go to Scotland. This summer has been one of the worst of my life, and looking forward to my Scotland trip has kept me sane. 

Hell on Wheels.

I recently started watching the AMC series Hell on Wheels. Yeah, I'm late to the party - I usually am with popular shows. But I'm really enjoying the series, especially Anson Mount's performance as Cullen Bohannen. What a wonderfully complex character! The show touches upon so many interesting aspects of this time in our country - the post-Civil War landscape, the opening of the west, and the expansion of the railroad. To see the interaction between former enemies - Union vs. Confederate, or Black American vs. former slaveowner or Native American vs. the white man - is fascinating, and the actors deliver excellent performances. Lots to unpack as a writer, and to me, that's the best kind of series. 

Also? Look at this man. So handsome.




2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're still in pain. I hope you can find something else that works. I hope you love Scotland. It's one of my favorite places ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Devon. I just think Scotland will be a balm for my very weary soul. Right now, I just distract myself from the pain in any way I can. That's exhausting in itself.

      Delete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...