Monday, December 31, 2012

Five New Year's Goals

It's been an interesting year. But I'm glad to see it go.

Oh, it hasn't been all bad - I've had lots of blessings to count. But major surgery - a hysterectomy - and a major health diagnosis - rheumatoid arthritis - kind of took the wind out of my sails this year.

I don't do New Year's resolutions because I inevitably break them, then feel guilty afterwards. So instead, I just like to make some general goals.

1. Learn pain management techniques. When I have RA flare-ups, I'm in a lot of pain, and that's all I tend to focus on. I need to learn to distract myself - immerse myself in my writing or a book or playing a game with my daughter or having a good conversation with my husband. Dwelling on the pain does nothing but make it worse.

2. Focus on the novel writing. I've done quite a bit of freelance this past year, and I've discovered that while the money is good, it takes me away from my true love: writing my novels. So I've decided to be more selective in what I take on for next year.

3. Stay away from politics, but stay knowledgeable on the issues. I want to be aware of what's facing the country and the world, but I really don't want to argue with people over those issues anymore. It's too brain-draining.

4. Continue to count my blessings every single day. This helps me keep my perspective.

5. Pray more. I think there's a lot of power in prayer, and I need to use it more often!

What's one goal you're making for the New Year?

10 comments:

  1. Great goals...I share some of them, especially the last. Funny how the most important things always slide when we need them the most!
    Have a beautiful and blessed (and hopefully healthier!) new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Faith! I wish you the same!

      Delete
  2. I'll be glad to see 2012 go too. Here's to a better 2013! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes, Melissa! Stay focused. You're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rick! Ditto for you. I hope 2012 brings you a NEW JOB and lots of acclaim for your amazing paintings!

      Delete
  4. This is a wonderful list, especially those last two. Goodness knows I could do with more of those. Have a lovely New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your New Year is fantastic, Anna!

      Delete
  5. Great goals, Melissa, especially the last two. I hope 2013 is a better year for you.
    I haven't thought about resolutions or goals yet, but working on my writing would up there at the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to print out this post and put it somewhere so I remember all these goals! LOL Best wishes for a New Year!

      Delete

I love to hear from you!

THERE IT IS

 It's back.  And who knows for how long? But for this day, for this moment, all is bliss. I'm happy, excited for the future, ready a...