Monday, January 04, 2010

Falling In Love...Again

Sometime over the last few days, I fell in love. No, Daniel Craig didn't suddenly show up at my door and propose (I wish!), but rather, I fell in love with writing again.

Writing and I had a falling out about a month ago. I didn't want to have much to do with it for awhile. It would nag me to open the laptop and at least attempt to string some words together, but I ignored it. Then it would switch to the guilt ploy, but that failed, too. Every day, it would emerge from its place in the dark, black corner of my mind and whisper in my ear. I was oblivious to its increasingly desperate pleas.

Until this weekend.

My latest issue of Writer's Digest landed in my mailbox and it was filled with articles on creativity and inspiration. Spurred by others' passion for writing, I opened up my journal and began to focus on what I wanted to achieve with my writing this year, putting aside the disappointments and frustrations of last year. Scribbling those words on that fresh white paper gave me such a feeling of newness and refreshment.

And as an added bonus, I had an amazing brainstorming session with a few friends that sent my new novel in a wonderful direction. Suffice to say, I can't wait to get started on it.

I feel centered again, focused on what I want and need out of life, especially my writing life.

It's a good place to be.

16 comments:

  1. There's nothing like that feeling - what a great way to start the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful, Melissa! Except for the fact that Mr. Craig is still missing from the picture... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. God for you! Am totally jealous of your brainstorming session with friends though. That sounds like too much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! Glad to hear it! You may have just needed that time to refocus. Now praying this is an awesome year for you and your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a good place to be! I'm happy for you Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:22 AM

    What a great way to ring in the new year, full of renewed passion and drive. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The perfect way to start a new decade. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, all! May you all have the same hope and excitement for your new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's nothing like that feeling of fresh inspiration...feeling that you HAVE to write, you HAVE to tell this story. It's a wonderful place to be, and I'm glad you're there! Happy writing (and all else, too) in the New Year.

    Oh, and I'm sure Dan will be along any day. He's probably stuck in all that snow, poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so wonderful :) I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Writing and I had a falling out last year as well. It was a little dicey for a while there but after some counselling we've managed to patch things up. :) Glad to see you two worked it out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! I find that my writing comes easily when my life is going well. When there are lots of dramas and problems, it's hard to stay in the sweet spot. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous5:31 PM

    Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so happy for you. It is wonderful to get that creative rush.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Melissa, even your everyday writing is fresh and alive. It's a real treat and enjoyment to experience your writing.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...