You, too, can give a successful agent pitch by following these twenty easy steps!
1) Watch tension-filled U.S. Open tennis match between Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic.
2) Eat two Dark Dove Chocolates.
3) Continue watching tension-filled tennis match, scream, "Yes!" when Federer makes a good shot, fall back on bed in jubilation, and almost choke on piece of Dove Dark Chocolate.
4) Realize death by chocolate is not as becoming as it sounds.
5) Floss teeth to make sure there is nothing to distract agent from billiance of your book.
6) Clutch your stomach when it starts rolling one hour before agent appointment.
7) Walk around hotel room "pitching" to thin air and realize you will never remember it all.
8) Decide to wing it.
9) Arrive ten minutes before appointment and wait with group of other agent-pitching writers.
10) Smell fear in air and determine to overcome by rocking back in chair and hoping it doesn't tip
11) Walk into room with agent, shake hand, introduce self
12) Realize with horror that agent is not asking any questions, but expects polished pitch
13) Mind goes blank
14) Frantically search for something to say, babble
15) Relieved when agent asks me a question
16) Spirits lift when agent is very interested in my writing-related freelance work
17) Forget about terrible novel pitch
18) Shocked when agent requests first two chapters of forgotten novel and wonders if it is out of pity
19) Stumble out of room, realize have done it
20) Buy diet Pepsi and pack of trail mix to celebrate
Saturday, September 10, 2011
I've always tried to live with this mentality: One day at a time. Unfortunately, when I implement it, I fail spectacularly. But for this...
We have a big snowstorm headed our way. Now usually these snowstorm predictions tend to be far grander than what actually happens - i.e. we ...
Yesterday I woke up in a fantastic mood. I felt pretty good (you never feel terrific when you have chronic illnesses) and I couldn't wai...