Monday, June 21, 2010

Easing Back In

I have to admit, the blogging break has been very nice. Blogging burn-out is no fun, especially when you really enjoyed blogging to begin with, and it then turned into a chore.

But I'm starting to miss the blog world a bit, so thought I'd ease my way back in.

On Writing...
I'm almost to the half-way point of my novel, and I'm pretty darn excited with where it's at. I've been able to get my hands on some terrific research material - some is coming from the federal archives in D.C. - and it's satisfying not only the writer in me, but the historian, as well.

On the Weather...
It rained nearly all day yesterday. Thunder and lightning galore! While I love thunderstorms, the rain we've been getting has caused flash flooding in areas. Makes me grateful to live on the 3rd floor! Last night, though, we went on a bike ride during a time when the skies has lightened somewhat. Unfortunately, ten minutes into the ride, it started to rain. And by the time we got home, we were soaked. My daughter said, "Mom, you've got to put this in your journal!" So of course I did. *grin*

On Summer in General...
I'm not a summer person, as most of you know. We've had some hot temperatures already, even though today marks the "official" start of summer. To counter this, I've purchased some darling dresses that will help me at least look cooler, if not perhaps feel cooler. I've tried to make the most of this season, however, by hanging up some cute deck lights and taking lots of bike rides and walks when it cools off at night. I'm sure once summer gets into full swing, however, that these will be far and few in between. That's when I'll rely on the ol' treadmill for exercise.

On Reading...
If you have not read Stieg Larsson's The Millennium Trilogy, I highly recommend it. I picked up the third book in the series, The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest, and devoured it in a few days. But ever since this concentrated focus on one novel, I've been strangely unwilling to devote my attention to fiction. I did get a new WW2-era novel, The Postmistress, at the library the other day, but haven't been in the mood to read much.

Now I'm off to check out what you've been up to!

16 comments:

  1. Glad you've enjoyed your break and well done with the progress with your writing.

    I haven't read any of the Stieg Larsson novels, but intend to at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debs - I think you'll enjoy them. They're dark and very gritty, but boy, the main character is so unique, you'll never forget her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa - glad you've touched base with the blog, although I can totally understand why you wanted to take a break. The Postmistress sounds good - I may have check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back:) I have missed you over here. Just ease on in and don't ever feel obligated. It's just nice to know you are around abit more--some is better than none!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurie - It does get to be hard to keep up with everything. :-)

    Terri - Thanks! Glad to be back, even if it is part-time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like things are going great! (Except for the indecisive weather, of which we've had the same.)

    Good to have you back--even if just your toes, as you dip 'em in the waters of blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a stormy, rainy summer here too. Enjoy those dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wearing one today, Jill. SO comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear what's been going on. I bought The Millennium Trilogy for John and he devoured the first book and has just started the second. I'm looking forward to getting started on them once I finish up what I'm reading now. Let me know how The Postmistress is. I was considering that one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kelly, I'm not surprised that he devoured the first one. It's a book series unlike any I've ever read. I think you're going to love it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was all set up to read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo but my boyfriend snagged it first, dang it. I have The Postmistress on my TBR list...my very, very long TBR list. I'll be interested to see what you think when you read it.

    Yay for fabulous research! Doesn't that just ring your bells, when you find the perfect bit of information you need? Congrats! And I'm glad you're back. Keep easing, don't get burned out again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a summer person either, and like your idea to find small ways to enjoy it. We put a screen gazebo on our deck this year, which makes it perfect to sit outside in the evenings and the mosquitoes can't get at us. And I'm liking your idea of deck lights to bring a little atmosphere to the evenings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christine - I suggest putting The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo right on the top of the list! All the other books can wait. *grin*

    Joanne - It's amazing what those little things will do. I just love my deck lights. Definitely makes me enjoy summer more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Melissa, have you thought of blogging just one day per week for now? Lots of bloggers do that anyway so their regular readers know to tune in that day. I think it's what I'd do, although I'd probably make notes throughout the week to make sure there was lots of stuff to go on. You might find that your notes need writing up a bit more often than once a week, and you may come back for 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not a bad idea, Diane. I'm thinking of doing it at least twice per week, but then again, if I have nothing to say, once a week is probably what I'll do. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

THERE IT IS

 It's back.  And who knows for how long? But for this day, for this moment, all is bliss. I'm happy, excited for the future, ready a...