Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Celebrating Historical Romance

In the '80s and '90s, I read little else but historical romances. These were the times of Kathleen Woodiwiss and Celeste De Blasis, of Jude Deveraux and Roberta Gellis. I devoured these books and they largely contributed to my love for history.

While I don't read a lot of straight historical romances any longer, I *do* love historical fiction that has strong romantic elements - and that's what I write.

My friend Evangeline Holland, a writer who focuses on the Edwardian Era and World War I, has a great series this week on historical romance and I've added my thoughts on the subject. If you're so inclined, head on over to her site and check it out.

2 comments:

  1. An interesting discussion Melissa. I will have to go back and read some more posts!
    I grew up reading novels set in WWII and loved them. Particularly favourite authors were Elizabeth Darrell, Maureen Lee and R.F.Delderfield. All of them British. There definitely is a shortage of American stories. Hopefully yours, and others, will get picked up. I'd love to read them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are SO many more WW2 novels from Great Britain - which I can understand. I even thought of approaching a British publisher with my novels, but didn't think it would work since mine are set in America and not Britain.

      Hopefully a U.S. publisher will take a chance!

      Delete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...