Monday, March 04, 2013

Centered

It's been a little crazy at my house. My mother is living with us for a few months while she searches for a job. We're happy to have her and help her out. After all, that's what family is for.

But it's been a little hard to write lately. My mom and I have always talked about anything and everything under the sun, and just because she lives with us now does not mean those conversations stop. Heavens no. They have picked up in frequency, and I really enjoy them.

By last night, however, I knew I had to barricade myself in my room and do some writing. Why? Because I felt discombobulated. (That is one of my favorite words.) Out of touch. Restless. Grouchy. My brain screamed at me to write, yet here I was, putting it off, making excuses, and doing anything and everything not to sit down and get the words out.

Finally, though, I managed to get my fingers moving. When I was finished, it was literally like the world had righted itself again. I didn't feel frazzled or edgy. No. I felt centered. Balanced.

I breathed a sigh of relief and dropped off to sleep, happy and content.

How about you? Does your brain have a way of telling you it's time to quit procrastinating and start working?


14 comments:

  1. I love the word discombobulated too!!!

    I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes too much human interaction means no writing. When I'm re-writing a scene in my head and trying to have a discussion with a real-live person at the same time, discombobulation reaches new heights. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many a time have I drifted off in mid-sentence or had to have my husband repeat something he said to me because I've been off in lala land, writing in my head! lol

      Delete
  2. All those words describe me when I'm not writing, also, Melissa. But oh the power of endless enriching conversation! I just had a dear friend staying with me from L.A. and we talked and talked for hours. And, I got absolutely no writing done. I hope you can find some balance in the situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were able to have great conversations with your friend. That is rejuvenating in itself! :) May you get lots of writing done this week.

      Delete
  3. I love this post; writing gives me balance as well, even for the wonderful family around me.

    I also LOVE the word discombobulated. :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's incredible how much better I felt after I saw down and put words on the page. I guess God was trying to tell me something. =D

      Delete
  4. Melissa-since I started down the road to discovering the writer that I am, the same thing happens when my brain tells me to write and I don't settle down and do it-it's like a form of vertigo, almost. Like you, I find balance again only when I discipline myself and get the words down.

    I love discombobulated too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie, I'm so excited for you to be on this writing journey. You are VERY talented and I can't wait to see what your future holds!

      Delete
  5. I'm rather fond of discombobulate too!
    If I don't get to write, scenes whirl around in my head and I can't concentrate on anything. I'm fortunate this year in that I have plenty of time to set aside for writing, the down side of that is I sometimes struggle with lack of motivation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Motivation is a problem for me, too, J.T. I

      Delete
  6. Oh yes, writing centers me! Even if I jot down a couple sentences in my journal, I feel better. And if I let distractions keep me from my novel for too long, I feel like a total waste of life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same with feeling guilty when I don't work on my novel. We need to be kinder to ourselves - after all, life does get in the way. :)

      Delete
  7. I feel all over the place if I'm not writing - so I have to keep at it! But deadlines help, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny - I am great at meeting deadlines that other people have for me, but when I set my own deadlines, I struggle!

      Delete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...