Saturday, November 21, 2015

Overcoming Setbacks

Life is full of setbacks. This we all know. But it is how we overcome them that is important, right?

I recently got dealt yet another setback with my health. I had mono two years ago - and I was very, very sick.  Fast forward to today: test results show that my mono has reactivated. This is a rare occurrence, but as I'm learning, my body doesn't follow "normal" medical patterns. I have bizarre reactions to things and my doctors are fond of telling me that "I always have a surprise" for them. This isn't comforting, actually, because I'd rather know what is wrong with me and address it then wander around for months on end with no idea.

Despite having mono again (albeit not nearly as bad as last time), I've still got a deadline to meet for novel revisions for my agent. And meet that deadline I will. It means buckling down and focusing. It means not wallowing in misery and dwelling on how I feel. It means eschewing the lure of the Internet.

To prepare for this task, I've lit my candles, have my fireplace going, and have soothing classical music playing in the background. It's a chilly, yet sunny day outside, which means I'm not tempted at all to spend any time outdoors and really can't anyway with my health. And of course, my cats are keeping me company.
Not my fireplace, but one at the Sherlock Holmes Museum in London

It's the little things that can get us through the toughest situations.

And now, it's time to tackle those revisions.

What are your simple tricks for overcoming setbacks?

10 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your setbacks! Sounds super cosy where you are though, so that's fab.

    I think you're right. It's the little things that get us through, and allowing ourselves to be treated and maybe even not expecting much of ourselves but asking that whatever happens we try our hardest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mia! Thanks for stopping by. :) It has been a nice, cozy day for sure. That certainly helps.

      I agree with you on not expecting too much out of ourselves when we're sick. I need to work on that more. I have a horrible tendency to think I need to be exercising and eating right even when I'm in the midst of a full blown flare of my rheumatoid arthritis or any of the other multitude of health problems I have. Need to learn to be gentle with myself. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh man, so sorry to hear it's back! No! :( Here's hoping it stays not so bad and disappears quickly, for good this time. But yay for your cozy setting and kitty cats. That, right there, sounds lovely. Good luck on edits and revisions. I'm sure you'll make the deadline!

    If you ever need anything that long distance people can provide, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, DK, for your kind comment. It's definitely not as bad as last time, thank goodness (i.e. no trip to the ER!). The writing went well today and then I took a nap, so I hope to do some more this evening!

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear the mono is back! :( But if it is not as severe as previously, perhaps the duration and effects will not be so difficult, either. I will definitely say a prayer for quick recovery.

    So far as setbacks, this year has been chock-full of them for me, back to back! I just don't really think about them once they're present and recently past; I just get back on the train and chug along, I guess. There's only so much we as humans can do, particularly when we have chronic health frustrations on top of things. I do my best and cross my fingers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen. :) I've been in bed all day because I've been so utterly exhausted. I have to give myself permission to do it, too! Darn guilt anyway.

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear that Melissa. Without our health life is so very hard isn't it? Look after yourself and good luck with that deadline. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue! Very happy to report that I made my deadline. :)

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about your health setback. You sound determined and I'm sure you'll meet your deadline.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb! I did manage to meet my deadline. I think I celebrated by eating lots of chocolate. :)

      Delete

I love to hear from you!

THERE IT IS

 It's back.  And who knows for how long? But for this day, for this moment, all is bliss. I'm happy, excited for the future, ready a...