Monday, August 07, 2023

Putting On My Historian Hat

For the past four months or so, I've been fully invested in writing my fiction. I've loved (almost) every minute of it. While I let the first draft of this novel sit for a bit, I haven't been idle on the writing front. Oh no!

I will have a paper published in an edited volume on "Fascism: Then and Now," to be published by the University of Nebraska-Press sometime next year. While I wrote the paper and turned it awhile ago, I received some editorial suggestions from my professor that I've been working on. It has necessitated I turn the switch in my brain from "novelist" to "historian." 

At first, the transition nearly did me in. I've been out of graduate school for six months now, and was no longer in that mode. It was excruciating, and the cognitive dysfunction issues I have with ME/CFS didn't help. But once I started digging deeper into my research and thinking like a historian again, I began to enjoy the process. 

I'm nearly finished with the edits, and it has truly made the paper stronger. I know the same will be true once I finish editing my novel. Isn't it great that we don't have to get writing right the first time? Whew!

In Other News...

It has been gloriously cooler these past few days with temps in the high 70s and low 80s. I sat outside tonight and took some pictures of my beloved birds, and then managed a short walk. I really enjoyed it all.

My daughter started watching Vikings and though I am not hooked, I admit to watching some of it and getting pulled into the story. Plus, there are some HOT men on there. Heh.

I've managed to order some clothes for my Scotland trip and oh they are so cute! I want to be comfortable so will probably wear leggings and long tunics the entire time along with my new pair of boots. 

And speaking of Scotland...I've decided to rent a mobility scooter. I really, really don't want to, but after the terrible flare I experienced the other day (all I did was go on a nature walk!), I realized that if I don't want to end up bedridden for most of my vacation, I need to take measures to help myself. So. For the days we'll be exploring Edinburgh, I'm going to be motoring around on my scooter. I think it's the right decision. I won't necessarily use it all the time, but for those days when we do a lot of exploring? It will save my body from crashing.

I'll leave you with some bird photos from tonight!







4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the paper. I think you made the right choice with the mobility scooter. Edinburgh is wonderful and challenging to walk when feeling well, because of the hills and the cobblestones. The scooter will help you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I agree - the mobility scooter will help me have a better vacation. I'm going to feel strange using it - but hoping to conquer that whole pride thing. :)

      Delete
  2. I like a switch from fiction to non-fiction sometimes, as they do require such different thinking techniques, and then returning to fiction often feels so refreshing. And you are so right, it can all be edited and fixed! Love the bird pictures. We had baby turkeys here, about 15 of them. I'll try to get a pic posted. We have baby quail right now too, little balls of fluff, but they've been impossible to get a picture of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is totally refreshing to go back to fiction! I've been brainstorming new ideas for my revisions and looking forward to implementing them all (and also slightly terrified!). Awww...baby quail! Can't wait to see pics!

      Delete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...