Monday, June 19, 2023

Nearing the End

 I hit the 80k point on my novel last night. Since I like to shoot for around 95k to 100k on my manuscripts, this means I'm nearing the end. There's a lot to wrap up - the climax alone will be challenging to write - and suddenly, I feel like I'm trying to drag the words out of quicksand. 

This usually happens during each novel, but I'm not quite sure I understand why. It is because this novel will nearly be over and I'll no longer be spending time with these characters? No, because I have a sequel to this story and I'm super excited to write it. You'd think that would propel me to hurry up and finish!

Maybe it's because the upcoming scenes will require quite a bit of emotional effort. Am I ready for that? I'm not sure. 

I thought I'd come over to my blog and do some freewriting, but it appears everything I write is being filtered through my this must be perfect lens. I hate this particular "mode." Every word sounds stilted and bland, and I can't seem to shake through it. This could mean I need to just take a break. I try to work on my novel every night - even if it means reading through the previous scene and making a few edits - so that I can stay "in touch" with the work.

But a few days rest might do the trick. I might give that a shot.

In other news, I still don't feel as though I've recovered from my bout with Covid. I don't have the energy or stamina of before - even though those were limited anyway with my ME/CFS - but I can't seem to get back to my exercise routine.

Summer exacerbates my depression, which doesn't help matters. I despise the heat and spend most of my time indoors. Temperatures are in the 90s every day this week. ARGH.

I keep forgetting my trip to Scotland in October. I have a dream of living in the Scottish Highlands every summer to avoid the Nebraska heat. Maybe some day it will come true!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...