Friday, March 24, 2023

When Worlds Collide

 Well. So much for trying to blog every day. Ha! Good intentions and all that...

Last night I gave a talk on my PhD research at the Jewish Community Center in Omaha as part of their Week of Understanding for the Institute of Holocaust Education. I only had a small crowd, but that made it so much better. The relaxed atmosphere was warm and welcoming, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

They were quite interested in my work - yay! - and asked me if I planned to write a book on it. 

I said I definitely wanted to. Whether I will or not is another story. I've already written and published two nonfiction books, and I really, really want to focus on my fiction.

Work on both! you might say. Well. If I didn't have to deal with chronic illnesses, I definitely would. In fact, that's what I used to do. I worked a full-time job, wrote articles, wrote nonfiction books, wrote novels, did freelance book reviews and cover copywriting. I burned myself out completely.

Add in chronic illnesses and I simply don't have the time or energy.

I won't rule out writing a book about my PhD research, but my fiction is still taking precedence for now. 

It's frustrating, though. I came up with another idea for a novel while in the shower tonight, and I'm excited about it. I just don't have that same excitement for nonfiction right now, and I'm going to honor that.

Trying to be authentic is hard sometimes, and requires difficult decisions. But if I don't live authentically now, then when? 

So. Now it is.

2 comments:

  1. It's your life and your choices. We all have different journeys. As long as we take responsibility for them, we can enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Hoping I can start enjoying my life more.

      Delete

I love to hear from you!

Staying Focused

Friends, sometimes it is exhausting to try and stay focused on goals. Eat healthier. Lose weight. Exercise.  Find a literary agent. Edit the...